Being an author is by far one of the most fulfilling undertakings you will ever take up. This is because it is one of the purest forms of self-expression there is. In many ways being a writer will truly make you a more fulfilled and complete person. But seeing as writing is the arena of the mind and you will be expected to spend hours of your time sitting down and writing, you may neglect the more physical aspects of your personality and inevitably your health and fitness may suffer. Which is why you should practice work life balance as a writer and work out at a consistent rate.
Here are 7 Great Health and Fitness Tips for writers:
- Create a schedule you can work with
Before you go out and start your workouts, there is one thing you should do first. And that is to create a schedule that you can work with. It may seem easy at first because your motivation is high. But as the weeks pass, your motivation will start to flag and you will start to make excuses. You’ll start avoiding your work outs and ultimately stop caring about your fitness altogether.
So before everything reaches this stage, you should make a schedule that you can work with. It can be early in the morning or late at night. It does not really matter, just as long as it is a schedule that you can follow consistently.
- Brush up on your nutrition
Aside from consistent exercise, you will need to brush up on your nutrition. This is because exercise is only the other half of being truly healthy. The other half is proper nutrition. You can exercise at a consistent rate, but if your nutrition is not up to scratch, your overall health will still be lacking. Some people get confused because they train at a very consistent rate, but still gain weight or don’t achieve their desired weight. Some would even get frustrated and stop their fitness regimen entirely.
What they don’t know is that it is their nutrition that is lacking. Some people work out like crazy, but also eat like crazy afterwards. Which negates the effects of the exercise in the end. Which is why it is imperative that you make your nutrition a priority. Here are some great tips on having a balanced diet.
- Practice portion control. The main reason why some people overeat is because they overeat and don’t even notice it. Which is why portion control is a must. Try to use smaller plates and try to avoid going for seconds during meals.
- Avoid fast foods. Although it may be more convenient for you to order fast foods, it will still wreak havoc on your diet because of the huge calorie count found in fast foods. There is also the fact that fast foods use a good amount of additives, salt and sugar in order for their meals to taste better. Overall, fast foods are unhealthy and you should avoid them as much as possible.
- Make your meals yourself, that way you can really keep track of your meals and know the exact calorie count of your meals.
- Avoid junk foods. The same way with fast foods, junk foods are empty carbs and have no real nutritional value. Avoid them and try healthy snack foods like fruits and nuts. They have more fiber and healthy oils.
- Do research on which exercises are the most effective
It is imperative that you do research on which exercise methods are the most effective. This is because working out entails you to expend a great deal of energy and it would be all for nothing if you don’t do it right. Here are some exercise tips for beginners.
- Make sure that you warm up before every workout session. This is especially important if you are just starting out and your body is not that used to exercise. Stretch out your hamstrings and ligaments to make them suppler and less likely to get strained.
- Try to schedule your workouts according to each body part. Each body part should have a scheduled day so that you can make your exercises more focused and effective. Chest day should be chest day and leg day should be leg day.
- Avoid overtraining. In order for your body to truly get the full benefits of your exercises you should practice balance. Don’t overdo things because you might end up injuring yourself.
- Work out with a friend
Your fitness regimen can get boring in the long run. This is especially true if you are working out alone. Which is why you should work out with a friend. Having a workout partner will make it more enjoyable and sustainable. And during workouts you can help one another when doing weight training. Just remember that you are a team and should help one another through the process.
- Try out various sports
Aside from weight training you can also try out various sports such as basketball or volleyball. Team sports such as this will make your workouts more fun and help you socialize with other people. If you are more inclined to individual sports you can also try tennis or combat sports like Karate, Tae Kwan Do or Boxing. Either way, any sport is good as long as it compels you to get up and work out.
- Go for a jog
Many consider jogging as a way of life, because it is a great stress reliever and allows you to stay outdoors on a regular basis. The health benefits of jogging include better cardiovascular health and a faster metabolism due to the constant cardio work. Just be sure to stay hydrated and be careful when jogging, because aggressive dogs and cars can be a hazard.
- Stay disciplined
If you want to truly gain work life balance, then discipline is the key. Having a disciplined mindset will allow you to stay consistent throughout the fitness process, and achieve your fitness goals. It is only through a very disciplined mindset that you will be able to eat healthy consistently. It is only through discipline that you can persist through your workouts despite a flagging will. Discipline is the key to succeeding in any endeavor, whether it is in writing or working out.